JOBS FOR ENGLISH SPEAKERS IN MADRID, SPAIN
Hyland Language Centre is situated in a key prestigious commercial and shopping location in the centre of the city, near Plaza de Colon.
Hyland Language Centre was founded in 1985 by David Garner , the current principal. Since it opened 25 years ago, Hyland has established a reputation in Madrid and throughout Spain as a top quality language school. Since its independence from the IH organisation in July 2003 Hyland has also been able to expand its teacher training department considerably and is now a leading Cambridge CELTA centre.
The language school market in Madrid is very mature and extremely competitive. Hyland's success to date has been due to the constantly high quality standards maintained in educational and administrative excellence, made possible by the friendly atmosphere of co-operation and team work which exists in the school. Hyland teaches English to over 3,000 students a year and some 50 teachers work for us. However, a friendly, personal atmosphere reigns at all levels in the school and we see this as vital for our continuing success.
Hyland teachers have the opportunity to develop their skills in a wide range of teaching environments:
- groups of adults or secondary students in our own centre
- groups of infant, primary and secondary students in extra curricular English classes in local schools
- group and individual corporate clients both on- and off-site
- exam preparation classes for Flyers, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS, ILEC, TOEFLibt, GRE
- private classes for specific needs eg interview techniques
- general English, business English, intensive courses, conversation courses, immersion courses
Hyland also has a growing French department, offering courses in our own centre and for corporate clients.
Hyland maintains a stable teaching staff with the vast majority of teachers staying in the school for several years or more. However, when existing teachers leave at the end of the academic year to further their careers around the world we welcome new teachers and their fresh ideas. We also employ new teachers during the year to cover new contracts and classes as they begin.
All Hyland teachers take part in a continual development programme which is divided into 3 areas:
- Teacher training seminars on Fridays (please see our programme on this web site)
- Observations (by both the educational management team and peers)
- Professional Development Interview (1:1 annual development review)
A considerable number of Hyland teachers hold further qualifications, typically the Cambridge DELTA. Teachers who want to take the DELTA course can apply for sponsorship after their first year teaching with Hyland.
Hyland has a friendly and approachable educational management team who offer support to all teachers. As well as a DOS and ADOS, there is specialised young learner help from the Head of Young Learners, YL ADOS and a team of off-site coordinators. There is also a Head of Exec who is the central support for teachers working in companies.
Hyland teachers are also encouraged to develop in other educational areas which interest them, particularly:
- Teacher training : Teachers are welcome to contribute to the ongoing training programme by giving seminars. Many of our experienced teachers also give seminars at external training days such as TESOL, ACAEI, ACADE.
- As Hyland is a CELTA centre, experienced teachers also have the unique opportunity to apply to be trained up as CELTA tutors.
- Writing: Present and past members of staff have written some of the best-known ELT course books and materials. Ceri Jones (Inside Out, Straightforward), Peter Jeffrey & Mark Lloyd (Framework), Dave Spencer (Teamwork, Macmillan Secondary Course), Simon Betterton (Platform), Peter Moore (Cutting Edge), Ali Blair (Galaxy, Animal Island)
The Hyland staffroom has an extensive library complete with all the latest EFL materials and methodolgy books for teachers to use and full access to Internet, computer and photocopying facilities. The school has 14 classrooms with air conditioning and audio visual equipment. There are Netbooks and projectors with internet access in all classrooms and WiFi access throughout the school. In addition there is a separate area which serves as a place to relax, read magazines, watch TV and meet students between classes as well as a staff kitchen.